Well the time has come for my very first linky! I've seen a few link-ups that I've wanted to join but never got the chance but when I saw Lindsey at The Teacher Wife was having one about must-have picture books, I just couldn't pass it up. As evidenced in past blog posts here and here, I am a HUGE fan of picture books and love to find new ones to read. Now I have to say that it took me awhile to decide on just a few to list here because I have soooo many favourites. So here are five must-haves, though there are tons more I could add.
In no particular order:
1. Ish by Peter H. Reynolds - This is such a sweet story and I like it more and more each time I read it.
2. One by Kathryn Otoshi - I really enjoy stories that are unique, whether it be in their artwork or the way they are written and this is one unique story that does a great job of tackling the topic of bullying. Great for intermediate or primary.
3. Pete the Cat by Eric Litwin - Colourful pictures, a catchy song and a great message, what more do you need?
4. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein - Another great message and such a sweet, sweet story.
5. The Lorax by Dr. Seuss - a book that stands the test of time. I am huge on promoting the importance of environmentalism in the class and this is the perfect book to do it. It's also a great book for teaching story elements to both intermediate and primary students.
So there's five favourites, I know I've got a zillion more must-haves. I also had to write this blog post quickly otherwise I would spend hours revising as I thought of more and more books to add to the list!
Hopefully I did everything right for my first linky!