Saturday 9 June 2012

Modern Must-Haves

I have been thinking lately about how many new/great artists/illustrators I keep finding. They really seem to have what it takes to have books that stand the test of time (at least in my opinion). I began thinking about my modern must-haves - recent authors that I just have to have in the classroom, alongside the classics (Eric Carle, Dr. Seuss, Roald Dahl, Robert Munsch etc.). I came up with a list of five modern must-haves for myself:

5. Melanie Watt - Scaredy Squirrel and Chester are a major favourite for students.




Chester
Scaredy Squirrel
All images provided via Amazon

4. Oliver Jeffers - Wonderful, unique illustrations and stories.

The Incredible Book-Eating BoyUp and Down


3. Peter H. Reynolds - Great messages and illustrations.

IshThe Dot (Irma S and James H Black Honor for Excellence in Children's Literature (Awards))



2. Eric Litwin and James Dean - Pete the Cat is so catchy - bright illustrations and great message.

Pete the Cat: I Love My White ShoesPete the Cat: Rocking in My School ShoesPete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons

1. Mo Willems - Between the Pigeon books and Knuffle Bunny, he has great, unique books.

Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale

Now I have to say, as I was writing this, I immediately thought of Emily Gravett and Kathryn Otoshi and I'm sure there are a ton of others that at this second I am forgetting. My point is really that there are so many great (GREAT) authors and illustrators to keep kids engaged with fun illustrations and poignant messages. I would really like to hear of any other favourites that teachers keep stocked in their classroom, leave me a comment if you agree with my list, or have your own list of favourites!

No comments:

Post a Comment