Wednesday 23 April 2014

Reading Comprehension Printables for any Chapter Book

Recently I posted about my Reading Comprehension Printables for any Picture Book . . .




. . . but then I completely fell off the blog train and never mentioned my Reading Comprehension Printables for any Chapter Book (I know, another completely long and unoriginal title!).



My favourite printable from this pack is the double-entry journal page, which comes in two formats. The first comes with two long columns - one column for students to record events & details from the text, and the second column for students to record their thinking voice (thoughts, opinions and questions):


The second version splits the long columns into three distinct sections:


I did this because I found that for some readers, when they worked with the one long column format, their recording of the text details ran on and when they went to record their thinking voice, they couldn't quite match it up. By having three distinct parts, rather than one long column, students can record one event or detail from the text and their thinking voice directly across from it, therefore cementing that correlation in their minds. I think it helps visual learners make that one to one connection between a detail from the text, and a detail from their thinking voice.


What are your thoughts on double-entry journals? I'd love to hear them!

Have a great rest of the week, it's almost Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment